Thursday, February 19, 2015

MBA disease

You have probably heard of Blackberry Disease, also known as Phantom Vibration Syndrome, that causes the false sensation and belief that your phone is vibrating when in fact it is not. It occurs when the boundaries between reality and imagination start to get blurred in the mind.

I was speaking with a dear friend this morning and he mentioned that he has been bothered by a somewhat related problem. It causes the equally false conviction that there is no right answer to any problem.

I suspect it afflicts MBAs more than others; professors at B Schools work rather hard in the first semester to try and get all those engineers in class to see that business situations are rife with ambiguity. Students start to take this rather literally and eventually learn to excuse themselves of the discipline to put in sufficient effort on a problem, and over time the mind starts to find it easier to wander, just considering multiple possible scenarios rather than focusing on solving the problem.

My friend has found an interesting solution to this Wandering Mind Syndrome. He has made it his habit to work on quant problems for about an hour every evening. Problems that can be solved, problems that have one right answer. He is teaching his mind to focus.

Methinks I am going to dig out my old Physics books this evening.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was suggested this blog by means of my cousin. I am no longer sure whether or not this post is written through him
as nobody else recognise such distinct approximately my problem.
You're wonderful! Thank you!