Sunday, September 13, 2015

Test Drives

A couple of days ago, I was invited to test drive a sports car. As test drives are wont to be, it was an intoxicating experience. BHP and Torque can be addictive.

The sales team succeeded with their objective. I was ready to pull out my cheque book and put down the booking amount. But ever since I bought the VW Polo after a short test drive, I have been working on building the discipline of counting to 10, in days, before I make a decision.

The thing with test drives you see, for someone enthusiastic about cars, is that you have already decided that you will like the car. The drive provides positive reinforcement for your beliefs.

I have realized that the best way to test drive a car you are considering buying is to use it for at least a week. We were considering buying the Toyota Corolla Altis and on a recent trip to the US, I rented the car for about 10 days. And here's the thing. After 10 days with the car, it seemed rather less inspiring than it did on a 20 minute test drive. With zoomcar launching self-drive car rentals in India, we can now do week long test drives in India too.

Of course, this is pure rational logic, and it does not always work with humans.

No comments: