Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Going to the mall

A few weekends ago, some family members who were visiting Pune invited me to go to the mall with them. I had been putting off buying some clothes for weeks and decided this would be a good opportunity to get it over with.

I noticed a very very strange thing when I was at the mall with these folks. They did not have a shopping list of things to buy. They were visiting the mall hoping to see stuff that they might want to buy. This was an eye-opening experience. Here were upper middle class people who were otherwise perfectly sane but were now hoping to spot opportunities to buy stuff that they did not even know they needed.

I can now see how almost 2 out of 3 Americans have less than $1000 in savings. If people start going out to malls to seek ideas for spending money on stuff they do not need, I am surprised so many people have so much saved at all.


3 comments:

Ali said...

It's almost like the American VCs coming to India shopping for startups

Mohit said...

Whenever I end up going to a mall for anything other than food, I hate that I keep running into people who're moving slowly in their undecided, "browsing" mode. Get out of the way dammit!

Shivram said...

@ Ali : Well said. Rings true.