Thursday, March 5, 2015

100 things - Not so simple after all

I took a good hard look at the stuff at home and I have to admit that this 100 thing challenge might not be so simple after all. Not unless you are will to invest a lot of time in mundane chores.

Take for example the washing machine at home, and the dishwasher and the solar water heater for the shower. We need at least a couple of buckets in the home and a hose to wash the car with. And then we have the gas range to cook on and the various pots and pans and cooking utensils. We have a microwave oven, and a blender and a toaster and the space heater we bought this winter. How did I miss the huge refrigerator? I counted the bed and the nightstands, but I missed the bed-sheets and the pillow cases and the floor-mats. While I am at it, I need to count the electrical fittings in the home, the light fittings, the doorbell and the clocks.

One could argue that we could have the maid wash and iron our clothes, and we could technically toast our bread on a griddle on the gas range, and the microwave oven is a lazy man's gadget, and we have a watch in our mobile phones. You get the picture.

The trade-off then is to live simply and invest a lot of time in chores or live well and have technology do a bunch of things for us. Plus, I would definitely want the insurance the washing machine provides against absenteeism by the maid.

I guess I am not quite ready for the simple life yet.


No comments: