Wednesday, March 11, 2015

You don't have to own it to enjoy it

I visited a friend's farm near Dapoli in the Konkan region some years ago. It was September and the weather was superb, the air cool and the foliage a verdant green. He had built a stone cottage on his farm with a sit-out verandah. I was so taken by the setting that I began to seriously consider buying a plot of land for myself in the region.

When I started to visit to check out opportunities, I realized that it is far more fun to visit for a few days than to have to live there. Power supply was iffy, insects and slugs rampant and local villagers noisy on festival days. Soon, summer approached, the scenery that was lush green turned a pale dusty brown and the streams started to run dry.

As the glamour of owning a farmhouse started to fade, I realized first hand that ownership is not a pre-requisite for enjoyment. The scenery is there for you to enjoy, for free. Ownership brings with it the burden of responsibility.

No comments: