Thursday, March 19, 2015

Notes for an Entrepreneur - Collecting your dues Part 2

Aakash Rungta wrote in his comment to the first post on Collecting that it is very difficult not to give a line of credit to customers and to pay the bank on time.

I have admitted in the post that it is indeed difficult to collect on time. But there are measures an entrepreneur can take to ensure survival. My own algorithm is to not do business with owner run companies, where the Lala-ji needs to sign your cheque. In these companies, usually SMEs, the owner has a direct benefit in not paying you on time or not paying you fully. We have often heard stories in this country about the price being re-negotiated after the job was done. The amount not paid to you is a direct addition to the bottom line of the person who signs the cheque.

I decided a long long time ago to work only with large professionally managed companies where the accounts department clerk who prepares the cheque and the manager who signs it has no personal benefit in delaying your payments. My personal experience in working with MNCs has been superb. Payments come in on time without the need to follow up on them.

With this rule, one can steer clear of needing a credit line from a bank. In the interest of transparency, I need to mention here that there have been clients who have not paid me on time, and in one case, not paid me at all. But then, in these cases I had broken my own second rule: I was doing business with companies with very poor gross margins. It did not help that the promoter of one of these client companies was a flamboyant playboy who has been selling the family silver to finance his lifestyle.

It is quite straight forward then, steer clear of doing business with client companies that have poor margins or poor cash-flows and if you have to work with owner run companies - work only after you have been paid.

2 comments:

Rungta Aakash said...

Dear Sir,

Thanks for taking my point, and elaborating on why things may go wrong..
But, i am sorry to oppose you once again..

It seems that, you have had, bad experiences of working with Owner run companies...

On one hand, you have been writing on Entrepreneurship, and on other hand, you are talking about working only with MNCs... doesnot go together i guess..

Its a major transformation for any owner owned company to jump, and setup processes and turn into a professionally managed.
You are right, when you say about the Biased nature in working, when owner themselves cut the chaques.. But then, your blog, should not be talking about being in that phase itself...

Please dont take me wrong, i have been a admirer of your thoughts right from your classes.. but Lala type of nature, which you think is bad, is Not actually bad enough.. its just a phase which every company has to go through i guess..

Shivram said...

Hello Akash,

I have stated my own rule about working only with MNCs. Each entrepreneur needs to build his or her own rules to protect dues and gross margins. Some people have an innate ability to collect their dues on time with sweet talk. I am perhaps incapable of developing that skill. Comes from reading too much Ayn Rand too early in life I suspect.

I have seen too many owner driven companies short change their vendors when the time comes to pay. That is not to say that all SMEs work the same way. I believed that my own efforts would be better invested in looking for clients who have an automated payment process rather than to work towards collecting from an SME that follows a discretionary process on payments.