Thursday, July 16, 2015

Almdudler

I am traveling again and I had plans to to try at least two new things here. The first is the local chocolate cake and the second is a drink called the Almdudler. Turns out I got to the second one first.

I have not seen the Almdudler sold anywhere else, had not even heard of it, but it is the second largest selling drink here. By some counts, second only to Coke and by other counts, second only to beer.

It tastes like a cross between lemonade and ginger ale; and if like me, you have grown up on a diet of Enid Blyton, then you know that just the description sounds amazing.

The name Almdudler is derived from a term that means yodelling in the mountains. I remember seeing an ad for a scotch that claimed that after a swig of the smooth stuff you could hear a hundred bagpipers. Sounds like quite the cacophony,  for I find even a single bagpipe difficult after a few minutes. The Almdudler, on the other hand agrees with me quite handsomely. I could picture myself holding a bottle and letting loose against the towering alps. And did I mention, the stuff is delicious? I am addicted.

Time to go look for another bottle.

No comments: