Monday, July 20, 2015

On shopping

Why is it that most men consider shopping a chore while most women consider it retail therapy?

I have a hypothesis here. If you try and establish where men tend to hang out in a mall, it is usually in the Electronics shops or in the section of the department store that stocks supplies for their hobby - golf kits or DIY stuff or if they are like me, they might spend time at car dealerships.

Women, on the other hand, spend more time in the clothing section. Women seem to enjoy buying clothes, or linen, and shoes and home decor stuff.

It occurred to me that there might be another way to classify these expenses; on frequency of purchase and further, that men appear to have capital expenditure items on their minds, cars and such, while women appear to enjoy purchasing items that fall under operating expenses - clothes and such.

Try and get either side involved in purchases of the other kind and they will try and wiggle out. My better half hates going to car showrooms and I quite dislike going clothes shopping.

There. I have it figured out. Unfortunately however, figuring out the cause of the problem, is not the same thing as having a solution. So, if you will excuse me, I have to go curtain shopping.

Again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even when shopping for clothes, I doubt men think of clothes as OpEx. I certainly think of clothes as CapEx :)

-- Mohit