Sunday, November 29, 2015

Change is in the air

I was pulled over for speeding yesterday and what struck me was how polite, civilized and upright the policemen were. Their motorcycle pulled up alongside me and after I rolled down my window, they informed me that my speed had been rather high. I apologized immediately and said that I agree, and that I did indeed get carried away with the joy of driving.

They asked to see my licence and told me about how other people on the road might be drunk or at fault in some other way, but my speed could cause them to lose their lives. I could not disagree with that. I believe they were trying to gauge whether I had been drinking and it must have become apparent within a couple of minutes of conversation that I was clearly sober.

I asked them what the fine would be and expected them to prepare a ticket or challan or negotiate a settlement. But then something truly amazing happened. One of two policemen said that I would remember this incident better if there was no money involved. And he is right. Not only will I remember this incident, I will also remember how courteous they were.

Change is in the air.

No comments: