Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Anger and self pity

A dear friend wrote to me after he read the May Short where I posted, "Have you noticed that when you are angry, you are so sure you are right."

He said he had noticed something else happening when he was angry. Not only was he sure that he was right, he was also certain that he had been wronged.

I have to admit that this is often true for me too, though not always. I suspect it depends on the root cause or source of the anger. These days, I find myself getting angry at myself for being so stupid about some decision or a being unable to honour a commitment I had made. If I can find someone or something to blame that kept me from honouring a commitment, then the feeling that I had been wronged raises its head.

It gets most worrisome when this feeling of being wronged morphs into self-pity; for anger coupled with self-pity is a dangerous combination.




No comments: