Sunday, May 10, 2015

Time warp

I just got back from dropping a family member at the Pune bus station for a trip to Mumbai. As it happened, we got there about 25 minutes before the scheduled departure time of the bus.

I remember that many years ago, when I used to take the train or bus far more often, I had mastered the art of arriving at the station about 2 minutes before departure.

We take a number a of flights these days, perhaps more often than we travel by bus or train. And security concerns have been insisting that we get to the airports earlier and earlier. The requirement is now 45 minutes before departure for domestic flights and at least 2 hours before departure for international flights.

I suspect some of this buffering has rubbed off on us. Our processing of time seems to have gotten warped by how we learn to manage it and how our brain connects the dots with similar events.

Time to take an impromptu trip soon.

No comments: