Wednesday, May 27, 2015

New York New York

I visited New York as a tourist over the weekend. We did all the requisite stuff; a Broadway show, staring at the ads in Times Square, looked down at the city from the Top of the Rock and saw the new Freedom Tower.

I know that nostalgia is selective, but even allowing for that, I have to say that this time around New York seemed a little grimy, a little tired, traffic snarls were worse and streets seemed more littered. It looked, well, thirty years older.

The last time I visited New York as a tourist was when I was a starry eyed teenager and I am sure I saw it with a sense of wonder and awe.

This time however, I could not help but notice the contrast; while Las Vegas seemed more like Las Vegas, New York seemed like any other city in the world.


No comments: