Thursday, April 16, 2015

Indignation

I was waiting at a traffic light on my way to work this morning when the guy behind me started honking. He wanted me to drive through the red light. I held fast. After all, it was going to be just 30 seconds. Then a motorcycle came in from behind, passed me on my left and went straight through the red light. At that very moment, a car was going across the intersection with complete right of way. He almost hit the motorcycle and the rest of us were treated to the usual street play drama. Since they were both blocking the intersection, we had to wait through another cycling of the traffic lights before they moved on, shaking their fists at each other.

I learned something from watching the car driver rant. He was in the right and the motorcycle guy was clearly in the wrong; I suspect that if the motorcycle fella had apologized or even just held up his palms in a gesture of Mea culpa there would have been no further ado. The car driver, I think, was more upset at the fact that someone so clearly wrong had the gumption to stand there and argue with him.

We have all been through this at some time and felt like this car driver. It lasts a long time and causes us to look for someone to yell at. We take this feeling with us to work, or worse, bring it back home with us. It makes us belligerent; we are waiting for someone to pick a fight with us. We want to let fly. And all this while, our blood pressure is playing havoc with our heart.

There is no better indicator of stress than indignation. And indignation is nothing but our ego's way of feeling superior.
Here is what I learnt this morning. I would rather have a healthy heart then feel superior.

1 comment:

Ali said...

The car driver should have just taken out his shotgun and gunned down the biker....

That's how they do it in Gurgaon! No stress! :)