Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Science Fiction and Fantasy

I have always enjoyed reading science fiction. Isaac Asimov, Heinlein and Orson Scott Card are among my favourite authors. I just finished re-reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and happened to find an interview with the author at the end of the book.

He had a very interesting take on the difference between Sci-fi and fantasy. He said the stories themselves are not very different; both genres require an active imagination; but the setting defines the genre. If you find yourself imagining smooth surfaces and plastics and metals, you are looking at sci-fi. If your imagination takes you to forests and elven settings, then you are reading fantasy.

I have never been a big fan of the fantasy genre, but if the difference from sci-fi is this thin, I am going to go out and try some. I hear Piers Anthony is a master.

Will keep you posted.

No comments: