Saturday, October 3, 2015

Exporting Jugaad

I took my car in to the dealership again yesterday to get the CD player repaired. They took off the center console, checked that the CD player was securely fastened in place and put the cover back on again and the CD player started working. On the one hand, I was happy that I did not have to wait for some parts to arrive from Germany; on the other hand, this process was worrisome because it now appears that our fix for old Windows 95 problems - to shut down the computer and start it up again, now seems to be applied even to mechanical devices.

I have been frustrated with the number of software bugs in the new car and I have made no secret about my disappointment about the current state of German Engineering.

On my drive home yesterday however, I had a sobering thought. What if the Germans have been outsourcing their software development for the infotainment system to India?

Does perfect portability of work also necessarily imply portability of work ethic too?

No comments: