Friday, October 9, 2015

Japanese cars have no character they say

I have always been a fan of Japanese cars in general and Mitsubishi cars in particular. I have never owned a Subaru, but if the BRZ (developed together with the Toyota GT86) were to become available in India, I can see myself queuing up outside the store with a sleeping bag.

When I mention this to my friends however, especially the NRI kind, I hear no end of, "Yes but Japanese cars have no character."

After having had to live with a VW Polo and now my other German car, I have finally experienced first hand that German cars do indeed have character. The thing is you see, these cars are gorgeous and they know it. They have attitude. They have personality. The audio system will give you sound when it pretty well damn pleases. And the navigation system has even more character; once the lady starts speaking, you cannot shut her up. I have heard an Alfa Romeo has even more character. Most cars have the boot release button near the driver door or driver's seat. On the Alfa 159, the boot release button is on the roof, where the sunroof controls would normally be. On the Renault Logan the power window switches are where the air-conditioner controls would normally be.

I have finally figured out what it means when someone says a car has character.
I think I will take dependability instead.



No comments: