Friday, August 7, 2015

Platform tickets can be fun

So platform tickets are anachronistic. That doesn't mean you can't have fun with them.

The last time I bought a platform ticket was at Pune railway station when I was there to see off a cousin heading to IIT Madras. I remember the ticket cost Rs 1.50 at the time. I handed a 2 Rupee note to the guy behind the counter but he did not have change at the time. We agreed that I would collect my change on my way out. We saw my cousin off and after the Chennai Express departed, we relatives trooped out of the station.

I had to ferry my aunt on my way home and I suggested she wait in the car while I collected my 50 paise from the platform ticket window.

"What 50 paise?" she asked.

The little devil on my right shoulder snapped to attention, shaking off his idle reverie.
"Didn't you know that you can return the platform ticket after use and get 50 paise back?"

"Nonsense."

"Come with me and I'll show you."

We walked up to the ticket window where I handed the guy my platform ticket. He looked at me and with a nod of recognition handed me a 50 p coin. I pocketed it, smiled at my aunt and we walked back to the car. It was a quiet ride back home as she was probably adding up all the money she had foregone.

A couple of months later I got back home to see my aunt speaking with my dad.

"What's this about a 50p refund on platform tickets?" my dad asked me.

I managed to keep a baffled expression.

My aunt was angry. And indignant. "I tried to collect my 50p and the guy at the window had no clue what I was talking about. And it was the same guy you collected the money from. I tried reminding him of our instance and he still refused to give me the 50p. Then the people behind me in the queue tried to explain to me that it doesn't work that way. I have never felt so stupid in my life."

Little devil :1  Little angel: 0

No comments: