Thursday, August 20, 2015

Rationalizing BS

I was watching Man of Steel on TV yesterday; you know the latest Superman movie where General Zod brings the 'World Machine' to Earth and begins converting Earth into a Krypton like planet.

I was okay with this; after all, I had agreed to surrender rationality to watch science fiction or fantasy for a couple of hours. It started to unravel for me when the scientist pretended to understand what the machine was doing and more when someone suggested that they could change the machine back into the Phantom Drive to send the bad guys back to the Phantom Zone.

Right, you figured out an alien technology you had never seen before and had the engineering talent to make it do something else just by smashing one machine into another. Do what you will but spare me the BS about how it works; I am only here to watch the pyrotechnics.

I realized that very often, MBAs lose credibility with folks who do real work, pretty much by traveling down this same path. It is refreshing to meet people who say that they don't know something, but MBAs such people are not. We learn early on in B School that the name of the game is to use big words like paradigm shift whether they are relevant to the problem at hand or not. Pretty soon, we start to drink our own Kool Aid and then start to believe the BS we dish out.

Here's my hypothesis for the day: When you take a good engineer and put him through B School, all that happens is that you lose a good engineer.



No comments: